Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Vote or Fish?


     Election day. I'm off school on Tuesday, and the car is packed full of everything for a day of chroming. I'm down to 8 orange spawn sacks, but figure it'll be a quick, slow morning so I get ready to go anyway. The alarm sounds at 5:45, I hop out of bed and hear my dog barking. I let her outside as I head out to the car, and boy is it cold. I wasn't expecting a chilly 27 degrees outside and I'm glad it is finally starting to get cold out. Anyway I decide to go to the Rock to see how it was affected, and I know a few holes that will certainly have fish. I park my car, and start my long walk through the woods to a hole I know nobody will be fishing at. I setup, launch a spawn sack out to the far side, and watch my bobber float down stream. NOTHING? So I recast and not long after it hits the water my bobber is gone. I set the hook into a nice fish and she jumps 30 seconds into the fight and I loose her. Next two fish the same thing happens. I'm stunned. I am into the fish but can't seem to land one.I also only have two spawn sacks left! Now I regret not stocking up when I had the chance. Anyway I recast into the same pocket and hook into a skipper. I'm focused and eventually land this little fellow, snap a picture, and back in he goes. Finally I got one. Mark-1 Steelhead-4. \

 
    I move down stream to a deep bend full of rocks and immedietly hook into a big fish. She jumps a few times and I know this is my first 30incher of the year. If I land this fish I am going to keep her for roe, but she gets caught up in the rocks and breaks my 4lb leader. Damn I am out of spawn sacks. I tie on a pink and white mini tube and cast it out. The bite seemed to turn off but as I get ready to move I hook into another good fish and eventually get her to the bank after a dangerous fight in the rocks. A solid 25 inch hen. I decide to let her go and she swims off. Finally the other pinners start showing up and I decide it is time for me to leave.



     I hit a few more spots along the river, but it is crowded, expecially for a weekday! Anyway I head to a McDonalds in my waders and chow down a breakfast sandwich. Finally the season feels like it is in full force. I'm going to head out East this coming weekend so until then, Tight Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment