Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Elk Creek!

     Decided it was finlly time to head East and hit some Pennsylvania creeks. I was going to start out on Elk and go from there. I pack the car the night prior to the trip, plenty of eggs tied, and a full tank of gas. The alarm sounds at 5:30, I get up, eat some breakfast, and get on the road. The drive is about an hour and fifty minutes to the mouth of the Elk. I've never been there and expect the parking lot to be packed, but it is not too bad. I hop out of the car and begin to squeeze into my sonic pro redington waders. It is pretty nippy out, but decide to leave  my gloves in the car. THAT WAS A MISTAKE! I journey down the creek and eventually find a nice bend in the creek with a view of the mouth and start fishing. It doesn't take long before I miss a few fish, but there isn't alot around. I was expecting waves of fish, but this low water must have spooked them out.

     I decide to pick up and move because my hands are freezing cold and there is no action here. As I walk back to the car I see a man holding up to steelhead that are well over 30 inches. I know theres fish here, but I have to find them without the insane crowds! I drive around and decide to fish some railroad tunnels, because they look sweet and perhaps some fish will be hiding in them. Bingo! I walk through the woods, across the creek and up to the tunnels.

     There is a group yelling and joking around so I assume they are getting into something. I politely ask if I can fish next to them and it doesn't take long before I start talking. They were really only letting die hards into the tunnel. Not good weather fisherman! Anyway the sttelhead and browns were stacked up in there. I take a few casts and bam hook into a nice steelhead and he breaks me off! I'm fishing 4x leader so I should calm down a bit on my hooksets and fights. I retie with my hands shaking with adrenaline and get back into the run. Next cast a nice brown slams my single egg and I fight her for a bit and land her outside of the tunrnel! my first big brown! I didn't measure but she was well over 20 inches and several pounds.

     Meanwhile the other guys are hooking into fish like crazy. I get back into the water and lose 3 more steelhead and I can't seem to land one. I'm getting ready to leave because the fish are really spooked now and the goodweather fisherman are starting to flood in. I then suddenly hook into another nice brown and tangle with inconsiderate fisherman who just leave their lines in the water feet from my fight?!? They untangle them, and I land this nice brown. I'm out of here. I can not stand fishing with people like this. So, on the day I went 0-4 on steelhead but 2-2 on lake run browns. A good day for me, and until next time, tight lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment