Tuesday, December 25, 2012

New tradition

Christmas Eve.. I'm posting this on Christmas because I didn't get a chance to yesterday. Merry Christmas! Well my friend, Dan, and I got out to do a little steelheading and had a pretty good day. I woke up at 6:30 and picked Dan up. A quick half hour later we were on the first creek. We knew that they were low, but hoped to catch a few trapped and drop back fish in the creeks, then head over to the rocky. We walked down, fishing every pool on the creek without getting a single hookup. Of course though, Dan with his natural polarized eyes saw a few. We sighted a big hen in the final pool and it didn't take long before I hooked up to her and she spit me. Most likely my biggest fish of the year. We decided to let the pool rest and hit the other creek. We fished it for a short while with out any luck. so we headed back to creek we started at. Started fishing and in fifteen minutes I hooked to this nice buck.



Just as I am getting back to the opposite side of the creek to reobtain my spot and get back to fishing, I hear Dan's spinning reel's drag scream. I recross the creek downstream and net the fish for him. Another nice brick buck.



He always ties it up when I catch one. We go without fish for awhile. I had a big buck swipe at my tube though and got determined to take the lead. Eventually the pink worm comes through for me, and I land a beautiful hen. Not big, but she has really nice color.


Finally we can't catch anymore fish here. The fish are spooked and we are starting to get low on time so we can not wait any longer. We head over to the Rock, and Dan hooks up first cast on a long drift down stream, but the fish breaks him off. Suddenly a group of guys can not stop catching fish downstream, but there is way to many guys there to try to sneak in. It is amazing how rude some people can be to catch a steelhead! We move upstream with out any luck and decide to hit the marina, then head home. Once again Dan hooks up to another steelhead first cast at the marina! He lands this one though and ties it up 2-2!


We run out  of time, and I am kind of thankful because my feet are so damn cold. It was a great day and now has started a great tradition of fishing with Dan on Christmas Eve. Until next time, tight lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment